We all have those mornings when we look in the mirror and instinctively know something is not quite right with our skin. For most of us, these moments are probably the result of dull skin. A dull or lackluster complexion is usually a result of the build-up of dead skin cells. This build-up causes skin to scatter light instead of evenly reflecting it, resulting in a loss of radiance. Here are a few ways to get your skin back to a glowing and radiant state:
Cleanse and Exfoliate
- Use a skin-cleansing brush to slough away dead skin cells. Pair the brush with an exfoliating cleanser to enhance the brightening results.
- Try an at-home microdermabrasion kit once or twice a week (on non-consecutive days). Microdermabrasion removes layers of dead skin to minimize the appearance of dull patches, discoloration and imperfections.
- Moisturise twice a day, morning and evening, to keep skin well hydrated. Choose a moisturiser that contains alpha hydroxy acid (glycolic acid), which increases surface skin cell renewal rate. Both result in brighter skin.
- Use a moisturiser with an SPF of at least 15 in the morning. Remember that sun damage is cumulative, resulting in dull-looking skin over time.
- Try a CC cream, which is like a one-stop shop for more radiant skin. It immediately brightens with a sheer tint of color and contains skin-beautifying ingredients such as Niacinimide and vitamin E.
Amp Up Your Healthy Lifestyle
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out.
- Exercise regularly. Whenever you get your heart rate pumping, your skin reaps the benefits. Walking, jogging, cycling and yoga all improve circulation and give you that lit-from-within glow.
- Get your beauty sleep. Eight hours of sleep a night gives skin time to repair itself. You will wake up with a brighter, healthier looking complexion.
Reviving dull skin does not require an invasive procedure. By tweaking your skincare routine a bit, you can easily give your skin a boost of radiance that will leave your dull, dreary skin dead in the dust.