Who says you have to look your age? With incredible scientific advances in skincare, women in their 40s can easily look as young and vibrant as they did in their younger years. Let’s take a look at some common skincare concerns and how to get your best beautiful skin — no drastic procedures required.
As we age, estrogen and progesterone production slow down and your skin cells produce less sebum (or oil); essential to keeping skin looking and feeling soft and supple. Your surface skin cell renewal process also slows down a bit, resulting in a duller, less radiant complexion.
Signs of Aging
Aging is a fact of life. Loss of firmness, larger pores, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, and dullness may become more visible on your skin.
4 Ways to Take Care of Your Skin in Your 40s
- Cleanse Away Impurities. Select a cleanser that exfoliates the skin’s surface. By exfoliating, you are buffing away dead skin cells and helping to unblock pores.
- Moisturising is Key. Apply a moisturiser with a broad spectrum SPF of at least 15 in the morning.
- Up the Ante with A Serum. Take your moisturisation or spot treatment to the next level with a serum. Using it twice a day — in the morning before your moisturiser and in the evening — will drench your skin in moisture. Look for hydrating ingredients like glycerin (which draws moisture from the air into your skin) and Niacinimide or N-Acetyl Glucosamine (which exfoliates and helps minimize the appearance of hyperpigmentation).
- Nighttime is Your Prime Time. Your skin repairs itself at night which makes nighttime moisturisation key. A moisturiser with peptides will help speed up surface skin cell turnover and diminish the appearance of fine lines. Peptides also help boost hydration and brighten your skin’s appearance.
- Bright Eyes. Use an eye cream to reduce the appearance of fine lines and minimize the look of hollowing around the eyes. Dab it on with your ring finger, from the inner corner to the outer corner, tapping lightly to give an instant circulation boost to the area.
Getting older is inevitable but older looking skin is not. Keep up with your skincare routine and you will have everyone guessing where you are hiding the fountain of youth.