Sunny days are a bit of a paradox. They do wonders for your mood but can be harmful, even dangerous, for your skin.
Sunny climates generally fall into two categories, sunny and dry or sunny and humid, and each comes with its own set of challenges. But regardless of where you are in the world, the most important thing you can do to protect the health and appearance of your skin is to wear a broad spectrum sunscreen year round. It is also important to wear sunscreen even on dreary days since the sun’s rays still penetrate through clouds. Broad spectrum sunscreens guard against both the UVA rays that cause sunburns and the UVB rays that lead to the signs of ageing skin — dryness, brown spots, fine lines, wrinkles and eventually sagging. All of these beauty bummers are caused by UV rays interacting directly with the skin causing damage to the collagen fibers, as well as indirectly producing free radicals that damage skin’s DNA.
Sunny, Dry Climates
In sunny, dry climates like deserts and some mountainous areas, it is easy for skin to become parched.
- Hydrate Skin. Since the air contains very little water, it will rob your skin of moisture. This means you will need to put back what Mother Nature takes away by applying a hydrating moisturiser in the morning and at night.
- Use key ingredients. Look for a moisturiser that contains glycerin (to draw moisture into the top layer of the skin), petrolatum (to prevent moisture from escaping), or Niacinimide (to help improve your skin’s natural moisture barrier).
Sunny, Humid Climates
In sunny, humid climates, oily skin is a more common problem. Humidity prompts skin to produce more oil, sweat and other impurities that clog pores. Acne may be an issue for you if you live in such a climate.
- Cleanse to Keep Your Complexion Clear and Fresh. Cleanse in the morning and evening with a cleanser that removes make-up, sweat and grime without over drying.
- Refresh With a Toner. If your skin tends to be shiny or oily, use a toner immediately after washing.
- Moisturise, Moisturise, Moisturise. Follow with a light, oil-free moisturiser to keep humidity from compromising your best beautiful.